Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Yuck - Yuck



Yuck - Georgia
Runs for: 3:36
Absolutely solid track. 
Pretty upbeat with some solid poppy instrumentals to back it up.

I got my mits on this album the other week and it blew me away. Taken a while for me to post this what with all the homework I've been struggling to do (inspiration's a bitch to pull out of your arse when you're under pressure) but I'm just about over the hump. Anyway, to the album.

Something I’m really liking about this album is that it mimics a lot of old garage rock that was prominent in the nineties but somehow died out/evolved into indie as we have it today. The vocals are distorted and drawn out and have clever chorus work involved - and the guitar work has got this nice sorta high end summery sound to it. That said, it’s all very well constructed. It’s not so much about jamming out on some simple power chords, but rather making it a little better, implementing some slightly complicated rhythm sections, or unexpected power chords. Like, it stuff you can chill out and listen to on your deck or something. Really smooth, cool stuff. It’s kinda like dinosaur jr mixed with sonic youth or ash.

Cannot stress how much this album takes me back to the 90s, days where you’d  be watching music videos on Rage in the morning and you’d see a bunch of silly bastards in denim jackets crappin on about getting back with old girlfriends. This totally takes me back to those times, aesthetic wise. You’d hear a lot of stuff that was similar back then and it was a pretty prominent scene for a good part of the early nineties. What I like about this album though, is that it doesn’t feel like a musical throwback or rehash, but it comes off as something that can stand in its own rights. For parts of a song, you’ll be listening thinking that it reminds you of the 90s rock era like I’ve been saying, but then you’ll hear something unexpected that’ll draw you back to now. it might be in the use of chimes, unusual chord work or just overly strange mixing, stuff that’s become a normal amongst indie rock acts of this century. I’m starting to wonder if half my love for this album isn’t coming from the fact it’s creating all these questions about music theory for me!

That said it's not purely 90's grunge. They have a few really good grunge tracks but there's also a lot of nice calm tracks as well. Suicide Policeman is a good example of it, really laid back, cool and somewhat poppy track powered by acoustics. Other tracks like Get Away, The Wall and Operation are all solid grunge tracks, whereas Rubber gives the album a solid progressive drawn out shoegaze track which is something that the album really needs. Finally, Georgia, the single they picked for the album, was actually a solid choice and one of, if not my favourite track on the album. This is weird for me because usually I never agree with the choice for singles that most bands put out. Georgia though, happy, bit poppy, brilliant guitar work, brilliant song. Sink your teeth into it.

Reccomended for: Fans of Dinosaur Jr, Ash, Sonic Youth, anyone who lived the 90s, and that one guy out there who asked the question: 'what if grunge never died'?



Yuck - Get Away
Runs for: 4:17
Opener for the album
Got that grunge sound and lyrical theme that really reminds me of the 90s.



Yuck - Rubber
Runs for: 7:15
Final track of the album
Got that grunge sound and lyrical theme that really reminds me of the 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment