Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Andy Stott - We Stay Together EP



Andy Stott - Cracked
Runs for: 5:36
The song is warped. The hooks are fantastic and the overall bassiness puts me out of my own brain. 
Haven't stopped listening to it since I found it.

I wouldn’t usually plug an artist in two reviews so close to each-other, but this is an EP that has to be listened to for any house/techno enthusiasts. I don’t even bother with electronic music generally, but I’ve been spinning this non-stop for days since I got it and it gets more amazing every listen.

With deep bass hits strong enough to wrack your bones, Andy Stott’s We Stay Together EP is a fantastic mixture of dub beats, odd synths and pulsing rhythmic tracks which creates one of the most powerful electronic releases I’ve heard to date.

As I said in the previous review, Andy Stott seems to have a mastery of a very strange, almost otherworldly synth sound with a kind of ringing metal percussion sound to it without it being ‘nails on a chalkboard’ tinny. The variety of music he creates is relatively vast on the EP as well, showcasing a lighter and nearly ambient song with the opener: ‘Submission’. The rest of the album is a vast breeding ground for interesting electronic sounds, with all sorts of subtleties in the songs that will make every listen have something new to pick up on. The sound itself almost demands movement. I find it impossible to sit and listen to Cracked or Posers without bobbing my head, and even then the general depth of the bass and drums on the rest of the tracks seem to draw some movement out of me. In most cases I’ll be motionless or zombefied in my work cubicle or lying in bed and as soon as the EP comes on I’ll be shaking my extremities above my personage as if I have no issues in general (yeah that was a ‘hands in the air like you just don’t care reference. Points to you if you got it).

But yes – listen to it. It’s very involving house music. The best of what’s on the EP almost leaves you hypnotised, every beat hitting you like a hammer to a nail. Should Andy Stott ever come down under, I’ll be there to witness what I’d believe to be one of the most fantastic house artists of our time.

  
Andy Stott - Posers
Runs for: 5:07
Really solid build-up in the track and the droning sound running throughout it is beastly.

No comments:

Post a Comment