Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Saturday 26 October 2013

Run the Jewels




Came across this album the other day whilst looking for new music and only once I’d hit the website was it that I realised that Killer Mike, responsible for making R.A.P. Music last year (pretty sure I reviewed it? Was AWESOME) had teamed up with producer EL-P in order to make a new, free to download boom rap record. I was in rap heaven. Completely stoked. On top of this the album was fantastic, which is why I’m reviewing it. Free amazing rap record? People NEED to know.

Now there’s multiple reasons this album works. I like to think of Killer Mike as Kanye for people who don’t listen to Kanye. Killer Mike is about delivering heavy raps with a strong sound behind him. He's got a way of handling lyrics which has a certain cleverness that GZA knew how to exploit, and that's  the how and when of it - he knows the exact thing to say at the exact time, in the exact way. It makes him sound louder than he really is.

EL-P's contribution - the music - is full on. Big beats. Really big beats. My bass speaker was pumping out elephant footsteps and my housemates were loving it. The rest of the music was really different from what I expected from any sort of rap record. It was more, I dunno, trance? Very electro, focused on good synths and not so much what you’d expect from your typical rap album which usually relies on instruments and samples. This almost seems like the antithesis of the surge of club-hop that artists like Dizzy Rascal (and unfortunately, Roots Manuva too. Way to sell out.) have been putting out lately. As in Run The Jewels isn’t terrible and a fucking insult to music. Quite the opposite.

Anyway, here’s a link to it. You're 20 something and poor. Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment