Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Mac Demarco's Live set at The Shadow Electric, Melbourne.

Earlier this year, when I was employed and enjoying the youtube benefits that an office job could bring, I found myself watching a couple of Mac Demarco's live shows. They were brilliant - the band were animated, they played their songs even better than the album versions, told rude jokes, did all sorts of crazy shit...

And I'm glad to say that that experience was brought to their show on Monday.

It was absolutely fantastic. The support acts were pretty cool too, Jesse Davidson was a bit like a two man Two Door Cinema club with thrashy guitars and nice trembling vocals, and I bought his 7" which had a dong on the cover. Scot Drakula (dunno how it's spelt?) was pretty surf punk/rock and played a decent set, a few songs were actually eye openingly decent... but Mac was something else.

I think what really sealed it for me were that they were out to have a good live show. When playing a lot of their old or slower songs, the band sped it up and transformed both the song and the audience into an absolute boogie fest and it really gave off the vibe that this would have been fantastic at a festival. Other highlights include Mac and his bass player making out on the stage, flashing of penises, flashing of Mac's penis, a giant medley jam of various artists - Tool, Led Zepplin, Limp Bizkit and more, dragging punters on stage, the list goes on.

The crowd were a bit placid, unfortunately. I think it's safe to say though that the band would have been amazing at Meredith festival the previous weekend - Mac also hinted at a possible return to Australian shores, and my buddy reckons 6 months tops and he'll be back. If you get the chance to go see him, drive to Sydney! Drive to Melbourne! Just do it! 10/10 performance and you will not be disappointed! Unless you're a pessimistic fuck-wad in which case you shouldn't be leaving the house anyway.



Side note - Only one issue with the gig is that the one time I got to meet the guy was when I was running to the toilet. He was hiding in the corner of an alleyway and instead of saying something about how it was good seeing his popularity shoot up because of hits on my blog, I pretty much dorked out and said 'OH HAY MAN' and then went off to piss in shame while I talked to another awe struck punter who jokingly said he nearly told him he loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment