Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (Song choice: Terminus)


 

The following song reminds me of waiting around airports on the way up to the Europe trip. Maybe just in name, but there’s a way that the start of the song uses a monotonous bass, rolling drums and obscure guitar riff that sort of made me feel like an outsider. I was observing people move while I sit comfortably. They all had a purpose and I’m sitting there in my own world, trapped in my headphones while they scurry like ants.
http://youtu.be/QcA1H7m8xw0

Unwound - Terminus 

Runs for 9:51

The album itself, Leaves Turn Inside You, is one of the best indie albums I've listened to - no screw that, one of the best in EXISTENCE. Something I like about it is that most tracks on the album are quite varied. Funnily enough, Terminus isn't one of my favorite songs on it when compared to the rest of the album - there are a lot of really chilled out prog-indie songs, some of it goes into catatonic noise rock, some of it is slow and melodic and can really set a mood. I was listening to the opening track on the way up to a hostel in the Rhine Valley in Germany and the natural beauty of the area in spring really complemented the music. The album is completely like that, atmospheric.

That said though, some of it gets a bit too experimental or slow, and I find I have to skip it or else I’ll get the shits. What’s good on the album though overshadows the bad by miles.

The band themselves are a little experimental, and have changed their style slowly over each album starting at post hardcore/punk rock and ending with art rock. However, a lot of their style changes - while similar - have come a little later than other post hardcore greats such as drive like jehu and Fugazi. None the less though, well worth a listen.

Reccomended for: Fans of Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Fugazi’s later stuff, Indie fans, people who are stuck in cars or behind desks for a good period (it’s not a short album). Also stoners probably.





Unwound - October All Over 
(favorite track on the album) 
Relaxed track. Something to listen to in a psychedelic coma. The guitar work is one of the most beautiful yet slightly haunting musical pieces I've ever heard.
 
Runs for 4:56







http://youtu.be/Axemfr9pEeA







Unwound - We Invent You 
(opening track)
This is the song I heard riding through the Rhine Valley. The drum work is snappy, yet the guitars are airy
They complement each other well.
 
Runs for 4:07
NB - skip the first 20 or so seconds. It'll just be noise. outside of that it's a great track.


 

http://youtu.be/GSBOk5zjf2U

No comments:

Post a Comment