Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Thursday 18 July 2013

GZA/The Genius - Liquid Swords (WU-TANG!)



GZA - Living in the World Today
So hard to pick a favourite. This might be it if not just for the awesome bassey production.

So recently I’ve found out that one of the most fun practices in my life involved cooking up dinner whilst listening to Enter the Wu-Tang. Maybe that’s a reflection on how boring things have gotten in my life the moment, or more so a reflection on what my weird idea of fun is. As a result of this, I decided I’d get into a few more Wu-Tang hip hop records, the best of these so far being GZA’s Liquid Swords.

I did a bit of homework before I listened to it. People were saying it was a contender for one of the best hip-hop albums of all time, and I didn’t quite realise what that meant until I’d listened to it. This album was way ahead of its time, and despite hip-hop not being my main calling, I’ve got an appreciation of this which is throwing it up as one of the best albums I’ve listened to. RZA’s production fluctuated from that gangsta beat style he nailed on Enter the Wu-Tang, to a dark, heavy groove. GZA’s rhymes highlight why he’s called The Genius, his lyrical style shows a certain cleverness that put him a cut above other lyricists of the time. Besides this, I think all the members of the Wu-Tang Clan were featured in some capacity on the album with especially commendable input from Ghostface Killah on 4th chamber and Method Man on Shadowboxin. This still keeps the feel of a Wu-Tang album while being a little bit heavier, due to the nature of the production.

This album is filled front to back with solid hip-hop songs. Not a single skippable track. Like I said, even if you aren’t into hip-hop, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get into this. It’s good, sometimes gritty but always awesome. GET INTO IT!

P.s.

So yeah, this might be my favourite hip-hop album ever. GZA might be my favourite Wu-Tang member because of it after RZA, who is probably my new-found god of producing. Guy knows how to fucking work *with* the music, not just alongside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment