Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Thursday 18 July 2013

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures


Joy Division - New Day Fades
Pretty epic build-up if I do say so myself.

Look, I don’t think I need to give these guys a proper review. It’s an album that’s been well received and still features in pop culture since it’s release in ’79, popping the fuck up all over t-shirts everywhere, movies and documentaries, the sound constantly being ripped off by bands like Interpol, editors and that third really shitty band my brother likes (the vaccines I think? And to be fair stuff of their second album is actually ok), so on, so forth. I’ll dot point this and make it quick.


1.       Ian Curtis’ voice is unique and different enough to warrant copying.

2.       Peter Hook’s bass use includes him playing it as if it were lead guitar (for more info, see: awesome)

3.       Guitar uses a lot of reverb, supports it all very well.

4.       Drums are snappy (I say this a lot)

5.       Song construction is different, involving. Really climatic at times through creation of mood, slow rolling bass and drum lines with guitar steadily rising above it all.

I mean if I had to say two parts of this album were able to change the face of music, it’d be Curtis’ voice and the construction. Hook’s highs are a nice bonus and should have set a trend for more bassists but I can’t find any examples which is super weird.

Anyway listen to it. Some of the tracks have aged well, but I wouldn’t say all of them by any means – the album starts getting good by about three or so songs in but kind of drifts out at the end.

That’s all. Go listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment