Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Friday 25 January 2013

A few tracks from 2013.


With the filter lifted at work, I now have access to the websites I use to find new music. Because of this, I figure I’d go to the youstubes and check out some tracks of this year’s supposed ‘better’ releases to get you ready, at least for this month.

Yo La Tengo – “Ohm” + “Before We Run” from the album “Fade”.


“Ohm” is Pretty cool. The guitar is a bit familiar, perhaps a bit contry-esque, drums are busier than the guitar but it works. Chorus is pretty catchy and the vocals are nice and relaxed. Nice mellow sort of solo going over it as well. Yeah, I’d say this is a pretty decent song. I’m not going as far as to call it ground breakingly awesome, but I can see it growing on me. I’ll probably check the album when I can.



“Before We Run” is a pretty nice track as well, holding the same sort of melodic vocals but with a bit more musical substance. I have to admit though, I’m kind of worried that this might end up doing a ‘Beach House’ on me – wherein the first few tracks are ok but the album is terrible because the songs are far too similar.

Verdict: Will listen to.





Foxygen – No Destruction and On Blue Mountain from We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic



No Destruction – I’m hearing hints of bowie and I’m LIKING It. It’s also a bit closer to Wilco, and I have no problem with this. There’s also a Dylan-esque wailing part. It’s a bit weird, but relaxed. You can shake your head around to it, they’ve thrown in a cool drum line, pianos and relaxed guitars.



On Blue Mountain – I’m hearing suspicious minds. But again, I’m kind of cool with it. There’s a blues section in the middle, wailing vocals, a climb before the chorus with piano involved, just general craziness. It’s cool, very happy and best of all, diverse. I’m probably getting this album.

Verdict: Will probably get (I JUST SAID THAT GOSH)





ASAP Rocky – “Long Live ASAP” off “Long Live Asap”



Not really in a mood for hip hop today. I think the chorus is pretty well done but the rest of the song is just ‘cars’ ‘bling’ ‘guns’ ‘drugs’ yeah that shit that’s been beaten into the Hip Hop scene since it became popular. I can usually deal with that if there’s something behind it if it’s handled in a new way – Kendrick Lamar managed to  do this by creating a polarisation in his tracks by starting off idolising the lifestyle and then looking at it from a more realistic point of view in “The Art Of Peer Pressure”. Killer Mike stayed pretty clean of this and managed to make an album that only slunk into clichés on a few occasions, and even then he spat lyrics so fiercely that you were more blown away by his vocals than his subject. This track isn’t doing anything for me.

Verdict: I’ll check out the album if someone plays it to me. Maybe there’s better tracks.





Grouper – 'Cover the long way' off “The Man Who Died In His Boat”



I like the acoustic work. The vocals just sort of soar over it with this airy hum for the whole time and work as an instrument rather than adding any substantial lyrics. It’s a weird blend but it kind of works.

Verdict: I’ll check it out later. Seems like if most of the album was like that, it’d be one to listen to at bedtime.

Esben and the Witch – Deathwaltz




Ok, musically I’m digging it. The guitars are quick and high, the drums are snappy and the bass is a bit ominous, although maybe a little too quiet. Vocals are a bit gothy, maybe a bit directly depressing and I don’t really dig that but nonetheless the vocalist has a nice voice.

Verdict: I’ll check it out, but with caution. 

I’m actually quite fond of a bit of depressing music, but there’s an element of desperation in the style (not the delivery) put forward by the haste and the airiness of the vocals that I’m finding a touch unsettling, but that boils down to personal preference. It’s pretty good though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment