Forming opinions so you don't have to!

Friday 25 January 2013

Andy Stott - Luxury Problems




Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
Runs for: 5:02
Strange... Just strange. But somehow still very appealing.


Still don’t know what to make of this album. Numb is a really great opener and sets up a soundscape that runs over the listener like water, smooth and cool. A lot of the other tracks on the album do this as well. There’s a few sounds that kick in over the album that hit the listener with a wall of damp sound, a sort of noteless bass like thunder or a deep drum.

The synth work here is kind of horrifying. It sounds a lot like heavy machinery at work and works as the bass for most of the tracks. The vocals layered over the top are slightly robotic, the drum work also reflects this.

I’m not sure what draws me to this album, but I think it comes from the general eeriness coming from it. It’s definitely unlike a conventional house record. It lacks a real aesthetic that brings it in line with other house tracks, it’s not terribly upbeat, the tracks lack a certain dancey quality and the existing groove behind it is unconventional, deep and heavy. The album holds this gritty primal beat to it yet tries to mask it with those machine like effects.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to really give a proper review of it as I don’t properly understand what it is that’s drawing me to the album. I guess the bottom line is that you’ll have to listen and understand this intangible seduction for yourself. A couple of the tracks stand out in the sense that they run a bit closer to a normal house track through an emphasis on lyrics rather than beat. However, the tracks that primarily focus on the music seem that much darker through the juxtaposition. 

Reccomended for: House heads I suppose. I'm not too sure who would dig this, but I'm certain that if you have any appreciation for electronic music, this will pull one of your threads.


Andy Stott - Sleepless
Runs for: 5:51
See what I mean about the creepy effects? The soundscape? The beat?




Here's the full album. Chill out on your bed and give it a spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment